Califontaneous Dreamin' - Inspiration for Your Next Travel

Recently I made a short trip to California. That's right, again! My first visit was during January of 2014, shortly before I started my blog. Since I have already visited the popular landmarks in SF, I decided to venture further south of the ocean coast of California. The goal is to take it easy and spend the time mostly in relaxing beachside.

As a lot of you may not be aware, August 12th 2015 marks the night where meteor showers were extraordinary strong during the evening hours. As it happen I had the good fortune of spending the peak hours on the plane heading to the West Coast. And yes, I witnessed the meteor shower on the plane! I was staring outside the window the entire flight, and spotted not just a few, but over thirty meteors! Some of them appeared one right after the other, even three in a roll. Some appeared twenty to thirty minutes apart. Most of them sneaked past the corner of my eye, but there were four that I was staring straight at as they were crossing the sky. The meteor would pass by the night sky for just a brief second, and right before it vanishes, the head would shine a lot brighter than usual. And the tail, which wasn't even attached to the head, would burst into a sparkling powder!! This is by far THE MOST amazing and unforgettable six hours plane ride in my life! I wish I could capture my experience with my camera and share with you all. Instead, let me show you another amazing view. On the left is the classic SF with the fog moving into downtown SF : )

I spent the first day attending a wedding on a beautiful hilltop in Berkeley.

After attending the wedding, I drove further south along the coast line and stop by a few frequently visited destinations...
Monterey

One of my first stop is the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which features one of the world's largest single-pane window tank.


Just like most of the enormous aquariums from around the world, you will find all kinds of interesting sea creatures. In particular, I was so fascinated by two octopi that I almost stuck my face to the glass to watch them move around.

There are also various species of jellyfishes, which I've seen many times in other countries, but this is the first time I've noticed their stomach contents as if you are looking at an x-ray except with colors! As you can see in the slide show below, the jellyfishes were fed recently and are still digesting the tiny shrimps!



One fact that makes this aquarium very interesting is that the ocean creatures in most aquariums are usually very cool, and they often act as if they are not aware of your existence. This is definitely not the case in this aquarium. In my opinion the animals seem to be quite sociable and appeared to be interacting with visitors. It definitely makes me feel special like I'm one of their kind!


We are trying to high five!

I love watching the schools of little fishes, all swimming in one direction! I can totally stand in front of it watching them swim all day.


After my visit to the aquarium, I spent the rest of the day walking around the Monterey neighborhood where you will find a few streets filled with local stores...

Another part of Monterey that is worth a visit is the 17 Miles Drive, which is the name of the road that features a scenic drive through the coast line, beaches, golf resorts and gated communities on the Monterey/ Carmel hillside.

My drive started in the early morning. Because of its altitude, I witnessed the morning cloud slowly moving through the area and also right at me. I could feel a few cool tiny water sprinkles landing on my skin as the cloud moves through me! One of my first time, and I'd never thought I could touch the cloud!


Within the 17 Mile Drive, there is the Pebble Beach resort .



This is fun. The force of the wave almost felt like a slap. Lol


Carmel-by-the-Sea

This is part of the Bird Island Trail at the China Cove. Can you see the cloud??

There is a hidden beach near China Cove..

... if you find this secret stairway, it will lead you down to a small secluded beach!

This is Carmel beach. And here you will.....

...spot the whales enjoying the Cali weather! One more thing to cross off on my bucket list!

I also happened to meet a new friend in Carmel! In fact a really cute one.

Let me introduce you ----- this is Chip!

Unlike the squirrels in NY Central Park, this cute little face has a really pretty pattern on its back!
And he is not shy at all!

This is how I buy his heart!
........ with chocolate coated nuts!!

Sooooooo cute I just died!!!!!


Carmel has a little downtown area filled with local stores and small restaurants!
If you have a chance to visit, don't forget to stop by the Tuck Box (the strange but cute looking small house) and
the Tor House & Hawk Tower (built entirely with stones!).


Big Sur

This is the place where everyone talks about because of its stunning view, and this is the place where you should come to watch the sunset!

I have watched the sunset in many different places in my life. Some claimed that Santorini in Greece has the most scenic sunset among other places, but in my opinion, Big Sur is better. The difference between Santorini and Big Sur is the thin layer of mist. In Santorini, you can see the horizon clearly, which separates the sky from the ocean. In Big Sur, there is a white mist in between that blends the blue sky into the ocean, which in my opinion makes for a far better ocean view. If you look at the photo below, you cannot tell where the ocean ends! And that is what makes the ocean view in Big Sur so majestic!



This is the famous Pfeiffer Beach aka purple sand beach. California beaches in general are not suitable for swimming because the water is ice cold!

Here is a little tip for you: if you plan to go to an outdoor dining restaurant afterward, please do not play with the sea water or you will turn into a fly trap!

I found some interesting rock formation at the beach that look strangely like skulls.



This is McWay Falls.... below is the close up photo where you will see the natural mini water fall.


Here is the Bixby Bridge. 

If you have a craving for ice cream in Big Sur, this is one interesting ice cream bus where you can make a quick stop, located at the Big Sur River Inn!

For dinner option, the "Restaurant at Ventana" isn't so bad!

The food is ok, but the best part.....

.... is the view of course! 

Cali was fun! But my heart belongs to New York, and it's time to go home!

*waving on the plane overlooking downtown SF*



Comments

Popular Posts