Discovering Afternoon Tea In New York City #HappyEaster

Photo by cheri
My January's post about Hong Kong afternoon tea was so popular (thanks to all you TF readers' longtime support, of course!), I was asked (too many times!) to do a post on a New York edition.

 
As most of you already knew how picky I am with food (because I look at both taste and presentation), I have to say with much disappointment, having spent the past three years searching, that I couldn't really find one that rival those in Hong Kong and London. Nonetheless, if you must experience what New York afternoon tea is like, here are the top three on my list: (Disclaimer: this list is for people who want to go after what local New Yorkers would go, so message me if you are looking for more touristy suggestions, I will provide another list for you!)



#1. Pembroke Room @ The Lowell Hotel

Pembroke Room offers a comprehensive taste of Britain - a formal classic British-style afternoon tea in a three tiers display with sandwiches, scones and pastries.


Sandwiches were pretty good, however their pastries were boring and overly sweet.
Honestly, I feel like PR could have done better, but they just didn't really try to make it
better because afternoon tea isn't very popular in the American culture, and most Americans
probably don't even know that afternoon tea exists.

#2. The Palm Court @ The Plaza Hotel

You might have guessed it! Yes, the Plaza Hotel it is.

The Plaza Hotel has a rich history and has been featured in many blockbuster movies in the past like The Great Gatsby, Sex and the City, Home Alone 3 to name a few. It is located steps away from Central Park and the famous shopping district - Fifth Avenue, which is great for post-afternoon tea activity!

I suggest this place simply because it's a must go for those who want to spend an afternoon in a classy luxury hotel. Their interior decor will wow you for sure! However, the food was a big disappointment. Sandwiches were below expectation, scones were mediocre, and the pastries were way too sweet (probably catering to American taste buds)! (*Reminder: Make sure you check out their menu before you head there!)


TPC also offers gluten free afternoon tea menu, for those with special dietary needs.








#3. Bosie Tea Parlor in West Village

For a more affordable option to experience a New York afternoon tea, this is my next suggestion for you. At BTP, you will be tasting the American version of sandwiches, scones and pastries. It was A LOT of food, and I definitely didn't finish it!

I had the Royal Tea Service.



#HongKongEasterAfternoonTea

It's almost Easter! To celebrate the holiday, I would like to share with my fellow TF readers two of my past mind-blowing Easter afternoon tea experience!

Some of you might have seen this from my personal Facebook in the past, but my album was private, so now I'm making it public : ) 

Bear in mind that everything in the photos below were edible. This Easter afternoon tea included a three-tier tea set and a dessert buffet (Yes! All you can eat!!) filled with overload-with-cuteness pastries, chocolate and decorated macarons!! The level of sweetness was just about right, and they taste heavenly... It was truly one of the more memorable afternoon tea experience I had the pleasure of enjoying!

I went back to this place the following year, and sadly the food quality was not even close....
You'll find out the reason later.  




Here is the entire dessert ensemble!

You probably didn't notice, but I was drooling while taking this photo with the
bunny butt macaron! Lol

Yes! An edible giant egg display at the entrance of Lobby
Lounge @ The Four Seasons Hotel, Hong Kong

Before you open a new tab to google about this place, I have sad news for you. The master mind behind this amazing afternoon tea, Chef Gregoire Michaud, has unfortunately left the restaurant to opened his own bakery in Hong Kong called the Bread Elements. Hopefully in the future, he will expand to the pastries business! *finger crossed*


And finally, my final adventure takes us to the #LondonAfternoonTea during my Easter trip last year. 

It wasn't exactly an Easter themed afternoon tea, but instead it was called the "Edible Garden". To celebrate the 101th anniversary of the RHS Chelsea Flower Show, the Intercontinental Westminster Hotel's pastry team had created an exquisite garden themed afternoon tea set to reflect the elegance of Laurent-Perrier champagne and their layered Chelsea garden.

And yes, this photo was "mistakenly" published on my Jan post as you might've remembered!
The presentation was so visually stunning, and truly the best one I had! 


Avocado & baby veggie shot,
mini eggs Benedict and
garden pea & basil tart

Smoked chicken & tarragon teardrop,
delicate goat cheese & tomato with cheddar shortbread,
smoked salmon roulade on rye bread and
roast beef & horseradish on beetroot bread.

Lavender infused scones and mini Chelsea buns.

The desserts had a recommended order for consumption.
I was speechless when this was presented to me, and couldn't stop staring at it for 5 minutes!
The pastries were not so sweet AND amazingly delicious!! #mindblowing
Lemon hedge box with crisp hedgerow case,
Manjari chocolate pond,
Laurent-Perrier strawberry champagne bubble,
crushed violet macaron,
raspberry meringue pie and
orange blossom flower pot.

Taken on my way to IC Westmineter Hotel on Spur Road near Victoria Memorial.
#CinderellaScene

Hope you didn't get too hungry after reading this blog post. If you are traveling to New York for the holiday, be sure to make reservations in advance as restaurants might be fully booked by the time you arrived! 

Happy Easter Weekend!




Comments

Popular Posts